Head of Workshop
Location: Twickenham, Greater London
Position Type: Permanent/full time
Do you want a career in a professional Audio company? Do you love challenge and variety in your day to day work? Do you have a flair for design using CAD or similar software? Are you multi-skilled and experienced in working with different materials such as wood, metal and paints? If you have at least 2 years’ experience running a busy department and team, we may have the role for you.
Britannia Row Productions is a world class audio rental company supplying high end audio equipment and skilled audio engineers to global music tours, sporting and corporate events. As part of the US based Clair Global group of companies, our business is optimistic about future growth.
The Workshop is integral to the successful operation of our business and warehouse and is responsible for the repairs to, or manufacture of, all bespoke packaging requirements, including flight cases, wooden trunks, speaker enclosures, racks etc together with bespoke packaging design.
Reporting to the Warehouse Manager, this position covers a wide breadth of responsibilities:
- The efficient and safe management of the Workshop, its equipment, team and deliverables including repairs of flight cases, in line with requirements.
- To plan, oversee and implement all maintenance projects to ensure deadlines are met.
- The design and production of bespoke packaging for flight cases and other bespoke business requirements.
- To manage and train the Maintenance Assistant and any other Apprentice or Warehouse Operative assigned to the department.
- To identify and implement any maintenance required in the Warehouse.
- To continuously seek to innovate and improve the operation, efficiency and services provided by the department.
- Attend Health and Safety committee meetings and ensure that our company H&S policy is adhered to at all times.
- Oversee the smooth prep and repair of mic stands equipment.
Together with managerial requirements, this is a multi-skilled hands-on position, and tasks will include;
- To programme, operate and maintain our CNC machine
- Operating a spray shop with bake off, solvent recycling and gun cleaning equipment
- To prepare all surfaces for finishing, to apply primer, topcoat paint, stain, and any wiped or spray-applied coatings to detailed parts as per company specifications standards using water-based paints and aerosol cans
- Fabrication of mild steel, stainless steel and aluminium components as required
- Production of bespoke equipment or packaging as required
Skills and Experience
- Ability to design and produce packaging solutions using modern drawings packages Fusion 360 or similar for viewing and manipulate drawings for output on CNC machine
- Ability to read and interpret technical drawings
- Good working knowledge and use of carpentry machinery and associated equipment
- Welding and fabrication skills, MIG/TIG
- Proficiency and substantial experience in using a spray booth with water-based paint systems and their associated equipment
- Excellent knowledge of materials from wood, laminates, plastics and metal
- Experience in preparing wood, plastic, metal or potentially any base materials for spraying with relevant treatments as appropriate and a knowledge of paint and paint-based chemicals
- Experience with compressed air systems
- Good fine motor skills with the ability to construct/create/make products with exceptional finishes
- Basic understanding of electronics and electrical system, including 12 volt systems and LED is desirable
- Knowledge of Fusion 360 or similar CAD software is necessary
You will be a collaborative and effective team worker, with the personal and professional confidence to lead a team. Possessing a pro-active can-do attitude, you will be resourceful in problem solving and trouble shooting.
At Britannia Row we want to hire people with the ability to get going quickly, interested in learning new skills and comfortable in a fast-paced changing environment.
Everything we do is time critical, so you must possess the ability to work efficiently and, on occasion for extended hours and at weekends, whilst maintaining very high standards. It goes without saying that you will be able to prioritise multiple tasks and remain unfazed by changing demands.
You will need to be confident in your abilities, reliable, and take an organised approach to work, with a strong command of both verbal and written English.
You will have at least 2 years’ experience in managing a fast paced workshop and team of people and have acquired a good understanding of Health and Safety issues and COSHH appropriate for the department
Salary and Benefits
- Full time salary range £27,500 to £35,000 per annum, depending on experience
- Standard Working hours, 35 per week Monday to Friday
- Paid Overtime
- 20 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Auto enrol pension scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Initially this role will be 4 days per week, increasing to 5 days at a later date
If you fit this profile and are looking for a new challenge, then send your CV, covering letter and examples or links to your designs to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants must be based in and eligible to work in the UK.